upgrade to Samba 4.0 alpha 17

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 08:53:15 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 06:19 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 10:34 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> > > After upgrading to samba4 a17, when I run the upgrade command:
> > >
> > > # samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix
> > >
> > > it shows:
> > >
> > > WARNING: Module [kludge_acl] not found - do you need to set
> > > LDB_MODULES_PATH?
> > > Unable to load modules for tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb: (null)
> > > ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - None
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
> > > 145, in _run
> > >     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dbcheck.py", line
> > 72,
> > > in run
> > >     credentials=creds, lp=lp)
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 57, in
> > > __init__
> > >     options=options)
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/__init__.py", line 122, in
> > > __init__
> > >     self.connect(url, flags, options)
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 71, in
> > > connect
> > >     options=options)
> > >
> > > strace shows that python is opening packages in
> > > /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba and does open
> > > /usr/lib/samba/libtdb-wrap.so and /usr/lib/samba/libtdb.so.1 and
> > > /usr/modules/samba/ldb/tdb.so
> > >
> > > strace doesn't show any ultimate failure to open any file with "tdb" in
> > the
> > > filename (although it does show search path open sequences which succeed
> > in
> > > the end)
> > >
> > > It does fail to open files which would match "*ldb.py*" but then there
> > are
> > > no such files in the source either
> > >
> > > Any tips?
> >
> > Remove your existing installed binaries.  The failure is due to us
> > attempting to load a module (kludge_acl) from the previous installation.
> >

> Nope, I tried again to be sure. I have a fresh system installation with new
> samba, but preserved /var/lib/samba from before upgrade.
>
> After trashing /var/lib/samba/private and re-provisioning, the command runs
> without error, but of course no binaries were in /var/lib/samba anyway

I'm sorry, I misread the error.  You must have a very, very old
database.  What version of Samba was used to provision it?

upgradeprovision --full might help, it was built for upgrades from these
older databases.

If there is no important data in the database, it may work better to
just remove it and start over.