Upgrade leaves an inoperate Administrator account [Was: Upgrade from S3 to a Samba4 DC]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 20 09:16:04 MDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 22:20 +0200, Pavel Herrmann wrote:
> On Monday 19 of September 2011 16:03:20 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>:

> > > linux-hvej:~ # samba-tool domain samba3upgrade --libdir=/tmp/x
> > > --adminpass=somepassword /tmp/x/smb.conf
> > > Usage: samba-tool domain samba3upgrade [options] <samba3_smb_conf>
> > >
> > > samba-tool: error: no such option: --adminpass
> >
> > I can't get to a working Administrator account.
> >
> >   --- set the administrator password with "setpassword"
> >
> > linux-hvej:~ # /opt/s4/sbin/samba-tool user setpassword administrator
> > New Password:
> > Changed password OK
> >
> >   --- kinit says my password expired, and can't change it (???)
> >
> > linux-hvej:~ # kinit administrator at MICORE.US
> > Password for administrator at MICORE.US:
> > Password expired.  You must change it now.
> > Enter new password:
> > Enter it again:
> > kinit: Password has expired while getting initial credentials4
>
> you can try setting passwords to never expire
>
> samba-tool pwsettings set --max-pwd-age=0

If this is required, it means that the password polices were not
upgraded correctly.  This was a bug in earlier versions of this tool,
but I thought it had been fixed.

Adam,

If this is still happening with current GIT, can you get me the ldif of
your domain object?  I want to check that the maxPwdAge is is negative
nanoseconds, not positive seconds.  (NTTIME vs unix time).