state dir and samba-tool domain samba3upgrade

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 13 15:28:09 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 17:55 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I've found another issue: older versions than Samba 3.4 don't
> incorporate the "state directory" parameter yet. Instead there has to be
> used the "lock directory" directive. Could this patch work?
> http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=472b320a17320f69450950763ff999267cddd080

I don't think that's the right place to do it.  If this varies by
version of Samba 3.x that we are upgrading from, then this must have
been inherited from the invocation of the testparm binary.

If so, we should change that code to detect that the parameter was not
found.

"state directory" is a complex issue, as it essentially varied depending
on if Samba 3.x was compiled with --enable-fhs, and even then it varied
depending on if the user specified it - have a look at the tortured
logic in source3/param/loadparm.c.