[RFC/PATCH] cifs.upcall: use kernel.provided principal name if available

Martin Wilck martin.wilck at ts.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 8 10:34:54 MDT 2011

(I needed to remove linux-cifs from cc because of DNS troubles again -
sorry)

On 09/08/2011 03:23 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>> The question remains: what are the windows clients doing to overcome
>> this situation?
>
> They use only the name, as typed.  Windows never uses reverse DNS, as it
> is rare on Windows networks.

It turns out that with the mentioned server, Kerberos doesn't work with
Windows clients, either. Instead I can see (in wireshark) the Win
clients falling back to NTLM authentication (or using it right away).
That explains a lot. Sorry for the noise. (I'm currently looking for a
switch in XP to force it to use Kerberos for testing purposes, but so
far I found none).

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck