Reduce build systems in master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 7 19:47:00 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 09:14 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 16:07 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > It's not ok for me.
> > >
> > > I need a few samba4 libs already and I need to use MIT.
> >
> > Simo,
> >
> > I'm a little confused as this patch does not change the kerberos library
> > support in the top level build either way.  Are you just noting your
> > hopes for a change in that in the future, or do you have a particular
> > objection to the patch?
>
> Sorry Andrew,
> I should have been clearer, I am not opposed to the patch, just to the
> statement that only source3 needs to link to MIT and that it will be
> possible only if the old autoconf build is used.
>
> I need to compile the whole thing (therefore will need to use the waf
> build) and still use MIT for the file server and if at all possible for
> all client libraries I can use it with.
>
> I know this is not possible now. But this must be a goal (at least for
> the file server) for many reasons.

Thanks.  When you get to this, look into the existing support Jelmer
added for using a system Heimdal in
source4/heimdal_build/wscript_configure, and extend that with the
configure tests from source3/wscript.  The magic ./configure like will
look like:
./configure --bundled-libraries=\!krb5,\!gssapi,\!com_err

With guaranteed option of either a very modern MIT kerberos or the
in-tree Heimdal, we should be able to make some good assumptions about
the capabilities of our kerberos libs, which will help the long-term
maintenance here.