Samba4 insists on linking with pam

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Sep 7 09:45:25 MDT 2011

Samba4 build process tries to link with any pam files it can find.

During configure I specified --without-pam --without-pam_smbpass so I
can't work out why it is. The header files may be found but the
libraries are not available and I don't want to link with them anyway.

How do I reign in samba's over-eagerness?

[3240/3445] Linking default/source4/librpc/python-mgmt.so
default/source4/auth/ntlm/auth_unix_6.o: In function `smb_pam_start':
auth_unix.c:(.text+0xae4): undefined reference to `pam_start'

My configure command is:
./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --enable-fhs
--disable-gnutls --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --without-pam
--without-pam_smbpass

My make command is:
make

My make-install command is:
DESTDIR=... make install

I have non-normal LD_LIBRARY_PATH and include paths and use a cross
compiler.

Samba fails if it is built after build dependencies for related
projects, but does not fail if built first, however samba must be built
last and needs to stop being so eager about pam.

Sam