Success: samba4 on gentoo

Dirk Gouders gouders at et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de
Wed Sep 7 07:32:10 MDT 2011

Hello list,

as suggested in the wiki I'd like to report success in running samba4
(current git clone) on a gentoo system.  Following the howto worked
well, minor difficulties have been adjusting the named running on a
different server and modifications to the SOA record until DNS-updates
from the samba server were working.

So far, I tested joining the domain with a Windows7 machine and logging
in as the domain administrator.  What I want to do now is to somehow
replicate the data of a running Windows 2000 server (perhaps with
samba-tool domain join) and learn if it is possible to change the domain
name/realm while maintaining existing accounts.

Thanks a lot for your work,

Dirk