Reduce build systems in master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 4 23:45:08 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:13 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Following up from my mail last month, attached is my proposal to reduce
> the build systems we need to maintain to two, the top level waf build
> and the autoconf build.
>
> The s3-waf build has been incredibly important in getting us this far,
> but I don't we should continue to maintain three build systems now that
> the top level build provides all the functionality we need.

I would like to put these patches into the tree this week.

To reiterate, the reasons I want to do this are:
 - So we reduce the number of build environments we all have to support
 - To avoid maintaining build environments that do not help us release
our next major release, the combined Samba 4.0.
 - 'make test' in the s3-waf build does not even start, so clearly this
build is untested
 - The s3-waf build has a large number of duplicate symbols (make
SYMBOLCHECK=1)
   - These could possibly be resolved 'easily', but the list of
duplicates appears just as long as it was when I last raised the issue

The bigger background to this desire is that I've been working hard to
bring us closer to being one project, and I want to allow all parts of
the tree to link to any library, restricted only by what that library
itself depends on and it's suitability for the task, not that where it
is located in the tree.

This is of course constrained by the need to maintain the autoconf build
in the short term, but I would prefer not to have the s3-waf build
additionally restricting our development opportunities.

I have maintained the krb5 library checks, to allow a future developer
to conditionally permit the whole Samba 4.0 release to compile using a
non-Heimdal system Kerberos if they have the time to re-implement the
required features.  (The challenge is in the detail, the broad
functional APIs have converged a lot in the past years).