[Samba] Domain trust between Samba 3.5.9 and Windows 2008 Active Directory crashes lsass.exe which makes AD Domain Controller reboot

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 3 16:00:36 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 13:22 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 11:47:57AM +0100, Tim Wright wrote:
> > Have some more information on this - looking at a packet capture of
> > traffic between the AD DC and the Samba PDC, the last packet it sends is a
> > "Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH" message but the NTLM SSP bit of
> > the packet has User and Domain set to NULL. Turned up the debug level on
> > the samba side and see the following in the logs (sorry have include
> > preamble to final message in case it's of any use in diagnosing the
> > problem):
>
> This is definitely not your problem. Just a standard
> anonymous session setup. The problem must be MUCH later in
> the sniff.

Tim,

How was the trust created?

Volker,

This may or may not be related, but I wanted to give a data point:

Tridge and I have bee chasing down a crash in the AD KDC when Samba4
joins as a subdomain (our current development task).

This uses the same drsblobs.idl as Samba3 code in master uses for the
net rpc trust tool, and may be the shared with earlier versions.  We
strongly suspect that this partly-IDL, partly hand-written parser may be
faulty (we already had to fix some issues with it).

Our next step will probably be to try and work with Microsoft to improve
the parser.