Upgrade from S3 to a Samba4 DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 3 15:48:46 MDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 11:52 -0700, tataia wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I'm very glad to hear that an upgrade script is ready for samba3 samba4
> move, but when I try it  I get the following error :
>
>  ./source4/setup/upgrade_from_s3 /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/local/samba
> --testparm=/usr/bin/testparm
>
> Reading smb.conf
> Global parameter unix extensions found in service section!
> Provisioning
> no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory
> Exporting account policy
> Exporting groups
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./source4/setup/upgrade_from_s3", line 111, in <module>
>     upgrade_from_samba3(samba3, logger, targetdir,
> session_info=system_session())
>   File "bin/python/samba/upgrade.py", line 495, in upgrade_from_samba3
>     members = s3db.enum_aliasmem(group.sid)
> passdb.error: Unable to enumerate members for alias,
> (-1073741487,NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_ALIAS)
>
> I'm running samba on a Gentoo system with ldap backend  and the latest
> sources of samba4
>
> Any help is appreciated,

The issue here appears to be that your system enumerated that group as
an alias, but wasn't willing to enumerate it's members.

If you could modify the upgrade.py script to print the group.sid

print("Importing members from %s" % str(group.sid))

just before that failure, then look in your directory and tell me if
that is indeed a group in your ldap directory, what the details are (ie,
give me the ldif if possible), and if it has any members.

Then we can see if the appropriate action is to allow it to skip on this
error, and move on to other groups.

Thanks,