Endpoint Mapper

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Sep 2 04:32:05 MDT 2011

Hi Simo,

 > I think also that being able to use the single mode is a nice to have
 > feature but shouldn't prevent us from using code that works.

We need to do some development whichever way we go. The epmd code does
not work with s4 at all at the moment.

 > Not having single mode can make some ways of debugging code slightly
 > more difficult, but if the price is making the overall code more complex
 > or more fragile (like when nested event loops are used) I don't thing
 > debugging features should trump code robustness.

If you are worried about the event loops then run it in standard
mode. It then runs in its own process.

We have a nice task abstraction in Samba4, and I don't like the idea
of losing that abstraction. It has served us very well.

To get the most use out of the epmapper work that Andreas has done I
think the code would need to be refactored as a library, then called
from both RPC servers.

Cheers, Tridge