hardcoded port 445

Oskar Liljeblad oskar at osk.mine.nu
Mon Oct 31 15:14:17 MDT 2011

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 at 07:06, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > My application will not be connecting to 445 so will this cause
> > incompatibility?  If so I see only one solution: Always keep track of what
> > type of port is specified, NetBIOS or CIFS.  That would be needed in many
> > places, libcli (struct smbcli_socket), lib/socket/connect_multi.c etc,
> > and many functions would need to be modified.
> >
> > Any suggestions how to go about here?
>
> First, it's great to see new folks using Samba and the Samba4 libraries
> in interesting ways.
>
> Have you tested this to see if it actually causes a problem?  If the
> remote server swallows or errors the nbt name request for example, it
> may not cause an issue in the real world.  If it does cause a real-world
> problem, then I guess the best approach would be some kind of flag, or
> to invert the test to be == 139.
>
> (Elsewhere in Samba we have had bugs were we fail to connect to port
> 139-only servers, and it took quite some time for them to be noticed.
> Therefore, such beasts may be rare enough for us to not support 'port
> 139 semantics not on port 139').

I did some testing, but mostly with the Samba 3 codebase and
the 'net' utility. There were some issues related to which ports were
forwarded, but I'll have to do some more testing to be sure.
(Last time I checked the 'net start/stop' commands were not ported
to Samba4 and its sambatool, but that was a while ago.)

I will look into this!

Regards,

Oskar