samba4 from BDC to PDC

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Thu Oct 20 05:43:43 MDT 2011

> Hi all,
> in my simple network I have:
> - MS SBS2003 server which is PDC and master DNS (allow zone transfer to
> other DNSs of the zone)
> - Ubuntu 10.04 32b server VM on XEN server with samba Version
> 4.0.0alpha17-GIT-ccaab14 joined to the AD domain as DC plus dhcpd
> configured for ddns updates (currently to the SBS DNS) plus BIND
> 9.8.0-P4 configured as slave DNS for the local domain zones
> - Ubuntu 10.04 32b server with samba Version 3.4.7 joined to the AD
> domain which acts as file server (for the network shares)
>
> My goal is to remove the SBS server so as first step I'll disable zone
> transfer from the MS DNS and change the zones in BIND to master to check
> if samba4 DDNS and ISC DHCPD DDNS still works but as per the samba4
> how-to I need to add the tkey-gssapi-keytab
> "/usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab"; statement in named.conf.
>
> If I run provision on samba4 (for a new domain) at the end of the
> provision the dns.keytab file is created in the samba/private directory.
> Running the domain join command instead of the provision the dns.keytab
> file is not created so how am I supposed to proceed?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniele.

Hi,

IMHO you should check if you have
/usr/local/samba/modules/bind9/dlz_bind9.so, if not check if you can
find libdlz_bind9.so in the source (where you have compiled samba4), if
there is one copy it to the right place. Then edit (being on Ubuntu I
suppose the standard Ubuntu path) /etc/bind/named.conf.local and add the
following:
dlz "AD DNS Zone" {
    database "dlopen /usr/local/samba/modules/bind9/dlz_bind9.so";
};
With samba-tool user add (or the windows tools) create a dns-samba4
account with password never expiring
with samba-tool spn add (or ktpass on windows) associate the principal
names "DNS/your-ubuntu-server.your.domain" and "DNS/your.domain"
with samba-tool domain exportkeytab dump the keys to a keytab (with
ktutil -k keytab list you can verify the keys in it if there is any
unneeded you can also delete them).
Set up the tkey-gssapi-keytab option.
Comment out the slave zones in bind.
After a bind restart it should be able to read the rr-s directly from
samba4's ad.

Good luck!

Cheers

Geza