Samba3 / Samba4 migration -- question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 14:59:03 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 16:02 -0400, Charles Tryon wrote:
> I'm still working my way through getting the samba-tool domain samba3upgrade
> to work, but I want to take a step back and ask a question on intent...
>
> It looks like the new samba4 server is loaded with all the parameters from
> the old samba3 domain, including things like the Host name, SID, dns domain
> name, NetBIOS domain, etc.  Is the intent to set up the new domain such that
> you can pull the plug on the old server (more or less), start up the new
> domain server and all the clients will "transparently" switch over to the
> new server with a simple reboot?  Can the new and old servers be run in
> parallel, or are they explicitly structured so the new Samba4 server
> replaces the old Samba3 domain services?

You do need to pull the plug - this is a restriction placed on us by two things:
 - Windows, because as soon as a domain is is known as being AD, some
NT4 like things stop working (NT4 system policies)
 - Samba, because we have no way to keep other Samba DCs in sync with
the Samba4 database, unless they are also running Samba4.  (Microsoft
allowed NT4 SamSync BDCs in mixed mode - we never supported that as a
server in either codebase).

That said, on the plus side you should not even need to reboot the
clients.

I hope this clarifies things.