A question about the permission setting of Samba

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sat Oct 15 03:14:24 MDT 2011

From: 曹宇 <caoyu at huaweisymantec.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:44:55 +0800

> Hi Samba team
>
> I did the following test:
> 1) Export a folder foo with samba (version 3.5.6), and the permission is rw.
> 2) Open a window on a windows PC named Tom to access the folder foo.
> I could create or delete files.
> 3)Change foo's permission in the file "samba.conf" to ro,
> and execute the command "samb reload" to enable the setting.
>
> 4) Try to access the shared folder again:
> If access foo from the original window remained on Tom, I had the
> permission of rw(Permission not changed).
> If access foo from a new PC name Jack, I had the permission of
> ro.(Permission changed)
> If I close the window on Tom and open a new window to access the folder,
> I got the permission of ro.(Permission changed)
>
> Is this a designed feature?
> Or there's any configuration options to let the client reflect the
> changes of permission
> without reopen the window?

I think this is a limitation of current Samba.
For Windows, changing ACLs for share is immediately reflected.

I do not exactly understand your "samb reload" but probably means
"smbcontrol smbd reload-config" or such. In such cases changes reflect
only new sessions, which means newly created smbd process. If you use
/etc/init.d/smb restart or such operations meaning to restart smbd,
then all sessions are once disconnected, so the changes reflect all
sessions immediately.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>