[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Giampaolo Lauria lauria at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 13 13:46:30 MDT 2011

From:   Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
To:     samba-technical at lists.samba.org
Date:   10/13/2011 01:29 PM
Subject:        Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated
Sent by:        samba-technical-bounces at lists.samba.org

Hi Giampaolo,

On 10/13/2011 07:06 PM, Giampaolo Lauria wrote:
> At the time I made the change, I was under the impression that the
option
> groups were the same across all samba-tool commands. With that in mind,
> thought that it would be more appropriate to define the option groups
> within the base class, not the derived ones.
That's not the case - your changeset even included an exception to this,
"samba-tool time".

I am not sure which exception you are referring to.

Putting this sort of thing in the base class can be useful if it
abstracts everything away from the child classes, but that is not the
case. The subclasses now have to accept "magic" sambaopts, credopts and
versionopts arguments.

Overriding is a way for a subclass to not have to accept that.

> I said it is a more object oriented approach because, in general, one
> tries to put all the common properties of an object in the base class.
>
> In the optiongroups, we have Samba Common Options. Aren't these in
common
> across all commands? What about Credential Options, which commands do
not
> take these?
Commands that work locally don't take credentials options. "samba-tool
ntacl get" would be a good example.

Before I made this change, "ntacl get" was using those options. Did we
have a bug?

Not all Samba commands should necessarily need a smb.conf file (although
all current ones seem to).
> Before reverting the change, I think we should think about what options
> are common across all commands and what are not. For those that are
> common, I think we should define them in the base class.
I don't think there are any options, perhaps with the sole exception of
the version options, which are completely common to all commands.

If so, then should we rename Samba Common Options?

Having a mix of options that are opt-in and options that are opt-out is
very confusing. I think it makes much more sense to just have everything
opt-in. Saving a couple of lines of code per command doesn't weigh up
against the loss in clarity of the code IMO.

> One more thing I'd like to propose, can we remove the Version Options
> group and put --version into the Samba Common Options? I don't see the
> reason for having a different group for that option.
I don't think that would be a good idea. It would be inconsistent with
the rest of the Samba commands that aren't implemented in Python, which
have a separate group for the version options as well.

All samba-tool commands have been implemented in Python for the last few
months.

Cheers,

Jelmer