proper way to update using git?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Oct 12 21:18:33 MDT 2011

 > > For what it's worth, I also had a recent build break where make didn't
 > > understand a symbol change. ./configure.developer and make clean were
 > > required before the tree would build. Is there anyone looking into when
 > > waf breaks, and if it's fixable?
 >
 > Yes, Tridge typically chases this down when he gets time.

the key to fixing dependency issues is to have a good reproducible
example. So if you have an example tree where its not working, then
you can create a compressed tarball of the entire tree (yes, its very
large) and put it somewhere I can get it. Please don't email it to
me. Alternatively, if you have a tested, reliable way to reproduce the
problem from a clean tree then let me know what that is.

I've fixed quite a few dependency bugs, and only one turned out to be
a bug in waf (which was fixed very quickly by Thomas). The bugs are
far more commonly because of a implicit dependency we have that is not
made clear in our build rules. Our build rules get quite complex at
times, and sometimes we get them wrong.

Cheers, Tridge