NTLMSSP and GENSEC

Wed Oct 12 11:03:57 MDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:49:45AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> At SDC I showed you my work to have the auth_ntlmssp code in
> source3/auth implement a gensec module, to allow gensec functions to be
> called, via the auth_ntlmssp wrapper.
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3-auth-gensec-module-2
>
> I've got this patch set almost working, but wanted to point you at it in
> case it assists your work.  I'll continue to determine the remaining
> test failures in the meantime.  (The perl/autogen.sh issue I mention in
> the other thread also remains to be dealt with).
>
> I also wanted to give you a heads-up as to my plans from here, to move
> this from 'an interesting technical change' to a crucial part of the
> work we were discussing to create a common client library, and a common
> client/server smb encryption routine.
>
> The next steps I see are:
>  - to merge the NTLMSSP client code into a gensec module, adding in the
> winbind hook for cached credentials
>  - to create a common ntlmssp client gensec module
>  - to use the common ntlmssp gensec module via the auth_ntlmssp wrapper
> (ie implementing all the calls in terms of gensec)
>  - Investigate providing the event context as an argument to
> gensec_start_mech_by*() and gensec_update(), rather than
> gensec_*_init().

You might want to take a look at what metze did for the
cldap subsystem, in particular af24591a20c7412 and
b787b6e1bd70f907 are what I want to see for gensec before it
goes deeper into s3 code. This makes it a LOT less prone to
accidential nested event loops.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9