provision error on 4.0.0~alpha17 (debian package)

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sun Oct 9 12:39:07 MDT 2011

> Hi,
>
> I tried to test out the debian packages for samba4 (I've backported it
> and all the tdb, ldb dependencies as well from sid to squeeze).
> Everything went fine except provision which fails:
> # /usr/share/samba/setup/provision --interactive --server-role=dc
> --function-level=2008_R2
> Realm [EXAMPLE.COM]:
> Domain [EXAMPLE]:
> Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
> Administrator password:
> Looking up IPv4 addresses
> Looking up IPv6 addresses
> No IPv6 address will be assigned
> Setting up share.ldb
> Setting up secrets.ldb
> Setting up the registry
> Setting up the privileges database
> Setting up idmap db
> Setting up SAM db
> Setting up sam.ldb partitions and settings
> Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
> Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
> Adding DomainDN: DC=kzs,DC=ad
> Adding configuration container
> Setting up sam.ldb schema
> Reopening sam.ldb with new schema
> ../source4/dsdb/schema/schema_init.c:767: defaultHidingValue == FALS
> ../source4/dsdb/schema/schema_init.c:796:
> dsdb_load_ldb_results_into_schema: failed to load attribute or class
> definition:
> CN=Site-Link-Bridge,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=kzs,DC=ad:WERR_INVALID_PARAM
> module schema_load initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module operational initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module aclread initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module acl initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module descriptor initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module objectclass initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module asq initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module server_sort initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module paged_results initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module dirsync initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module rootdse initialization failed : Constraint violation
> module samba_dsdb initialization failed : Constraint violation
> Unable to load modules for /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb: dsdb_schema
> load failed: dsdb_load_ldb_results_into_schema: failed to load attribute
> or class definition:
> CN=Site-Link-Bridge,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=kzs,DC=ad:WERR_INVALID_PARAM
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/samba/setup/provision", line 267, in <module>
>     useeadb=eadb, next_rid=opts.next_rid, lp=lp)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
> line 1722, in provision
>     next_rid=next_rid, dc_rid=dc_rid)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py",
> line 1321, in setup_samdb
>     samdb.connect(path)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/samba/samdb.py", line 72, in
> connect
> [...]
Hi,

It seems that the ldb debian source package is at the origin of the
problem. I've downloaded (via git clone) the current sources configured
then build and then installed it (leaving everything at the default, and
so install went to /usr/local/samba), provisioned that instance (first
moved /usr/local/samba/bin and /usr/local/samba/sbin to the beginig of
the PATH), then copied all ldb files (and sam.ldb.d) to the path
expected by the samba4 deb, modified the PATH back and samba4 (the
debian version) has started successfully, succeeded even a smbclient
test against localhost.

Best regards

Geza