common lpcfg_ as a shim to allow greater code sharing

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 9 07:02:16 MDT 2011

Metze, Michael

At SDC I spoke about my idea to move the source4 loadparm code into
'common', so as to allow common code to be written against the lpcfg_*()
functions.  In turn, these calls can be directed to either loadparm
system by calling loadparm_init() or loadparm_init_s3() as appropriate.

I've prepared a branch with my patch proposal.  It does not include the
changes to the autoconf build system, because I only wish to change that
once I have a real-world user for that code, and this has taken a little
longer to prepare than I expected.  I also wish to address Volker's
concern about the build-time perl dependency before I make any further
changes to the autoconf build.

The changes are in this branch:
http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/common-lpcfg-shim

As I make clear in the commit, this is not an attempt to define once and
for all a common loadparm.  This is just a move of the files, and the
minimum work required to enable to result to compile in both build
systems.  The power of the loadparm_init_s3() shim is shown well by the
new vfs_dfs_samba4 module, and I want to enable other code to use this
feature while we continue the slow merge task.

Thanks,