pseudobacklink / one_way_link: corruption ahead

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Oct 6 20:40:29 MDT 2011

Hi Matthieu,

 > In order to reproduce them: just create a site and put it in the
 > DEFAULTIPSITELINK, then remove the site.
 > In theory the site should be removed from the siteList attribute, but
 > it's not !

thanks for that example. Andrew and I spent some time on it today and
we think we have it fixed up.

 > I found first a bug, attribute that have only forward link were not
 > covered correctly by your patches, I made this fix: http://bit.ly/oJnYo0.
 > That was an easy one.

it turns out that while the fix was easy, it wasn't actually correct,
although it is harmless :-)

we had a bug in our interpretation of the isDeleted and isRecycled
attributes for the different cases of when the recycled bin is or is
not enabled. When the recycled bin is not enabled then isRecycled
should be ignored (the value may be TRUE or not present, but it is
never acted on). When the recycle bin is enabled we need to look at
isRecycled.

We've now fixed the show_deleted module to correctly honor the recycle
bin setting, and this now means that the show_recycled control will
always show all objects, regardless of what mode we are in. The
show_deleted control will not show recycled objects if the recycle bin
feature is enabled.

 > But if you look at the attribute, you will see an attribute that is
 > pointing to a deleted object

minor correction - its pointing at a tombstoned object, not a deleted
object. You can only actually have 'deleted objects' when the recycle
bin is enabled.

 > in most cases you expect in fact the
 > object not to be here, your implementation of backlink handle well the
 > renaming but not so well the deleting.
 > I think it should be quite easy to mask the attribute if the pointed dn
 > is the DN of a deleted object.

yes, and that is what we've added. It turns out we need that search
anyway, as we need it to honor the show_deactivated_link control. See
the new logic in the fix_one_way_link() function.

We also had a simple bug in the schema code that sets up the
one_way_link boolean on attributes. We were not setting it true for
the sitelist attribute.

 > But then what would happen when replicating, I think a search with the
 > --reveal show it quite clearly:
 >
 > sudo ./bin/ldbsearch -H ~/workspace/samba/home.matws.net/private/sam.ldb
 > -k 1 --cross-ncs '(sitelist=*)' sitelist  --reveal --extended-dn
 > # record 1
 > dn:
 > <GUID=f872b9fc-cedc-4949-bd51-fc8ecfb9d211>;CN=DEFAULTIPSITELINK,CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site
 > Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
 > siteList:
 > <GUID=c9b85202-4f5a-43cb-ac7b-a6f6cd9a8e30>;<RMD_ADDTIME=12962226990
 >   0000000>;<RMD_CHANGETIME=129622269900000000>;<RMD_FLAGS=0>;<RMD_INVOCID=00b57
 >   015-57c4-4baf-828a-c93c12ac7e3a>;<RMD_LOCAL_USN=1983>;<RMD_ORIGINATING_USN=19
 >   83>;<RMD_VERSION=0>;CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=h
 >   ome,DC=matws,DC=net
 > siteList:
 > <GUID=c75d75fc-2521-475f-ade4-5c233a286338>;<RMD_ADDTIME=12962304242
 >   0000000>;<RMD_CHANGETIME=129623042420000000>;<RMD_FLAGS=0>;<RMD_INVOCID=00b57
 >   015-57c4-4baf-828a-c93c12ac7e3a>;<RMD_LOCAL_USN=8531>;<RMD_ORIGINATING_USN=85
 >   31>;<RMD_VERSION=0>;CN=test\0ADEL:c75d75fc-2521-475f-ade4-5c233a286338,CN=Sit
 >   es,CN=Configuration,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
 >
 > The attribute is not removed, if we are running a samba only domain it's
 > mostly ok but in mixed domain it must be fun !

We think this is OK now. If the link is to a tombstoned or recycled
object then the link is not displayed when queried, and this also
applies to DRS replication searches.

 > Please tell me how you think this could be solved, the best I can see is
 > a kind of garbage collector.

yes, we will eventually need a garbage collector, much like windows
has the infrastructure master for cleaning up phantom objects. When we
changed extended_dn_out we added a check for the reveal control to
allow us to add this garbage collection in the future (the garbage
collection would need to search for one way links with reveal enabled,
and remove the dead ones).

Meanwhile I think our external behaviour is now much better than it
was. There are probably still cases we get wrong, but its closer than
it was :-)

Cheers, Tridge