running wintest issues

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 5 11:59:32 MDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 03:49 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 08:27 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a bit fishy.  if it is expected to run from the install dir,
>>> then I guess it should run without a bin/ or sbin/.  I think the bin/
>>> was for running from the build dir.
>>
>> What about just tweaking the path in the script, and then getting rid of
>> the prefixes entirely? Adding ${PREFIX}/bin:${PREFIX}/sbin to the path
>> would be easy enough. I can provide a patch in that direction if you'd
>> rather have that instead.
>
> Hmm, I would prefer to use as few environment variables as possible,
> including $PATH.  If we are getting mixed up as to what directory we are
> in and so bin/ isn't the directory we just built then we should just
> prefix $PREFIX on the paths before we run them.  This will make it
> easier to cut-and-paste the run commands when debugging.

Well, the challenge is that we are running from the install dir (i.e.
/usr/local/samba), and some of the tools are in bin/ and some are in sbin/.

So, it seems like we need to either:

1) fix the reference to samba-tool that is now in sbin/
2) change PATH so it can pick up the tools without the explicit path callout
3) don't run from install bin, run from build dir instead.

I've got a patch out for #1. If you'd like a different approach (2 or 3,
or something else), I'd do it, just need to know what the acceptable
approach is for the in tree script.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague