Buildfarm build_test script on an embedded device.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 5 10:40:07 MDT 2011

Michael Wood wrote:
> On 5 October 2011 17:47, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>> Some notes, as we consider how we will move forward with Embedded Samba.
>>
>> Matthieu's changes to the build_test script reduced the run time by only two
>> hours.  That, again, emphasizes the point that it's likely the code build
>> itself that is taking too long.
> [...]
>
> Probably obvious questions, but anyway:
>
> Would a bunch of machines, distcc and make -j help with this at all? :)
>
> Or maybe a powerful x86 box running a cross compiler and distcc.

Well, now, there you go trying to come up with a *rational* solution.
;)

There's an inherent challenge in getting all of this to work natively.  It
does seem, however, that RAM is one of the critical factors in the build
process.  I am hoping that Kai will run build_test on his test platform and
provide us with the results.

The build_test script does two things, however.  Its primary purpose, as I
understand it, is to ensure that Samba builds properly on a wide variety of
platforms.  That'd be why there's a bit of a debate going on regarding the
presence of these smaller-end devices in the Build Farm.

The other purpose is to see that Samba runs properly on the designated
platform.  That, of course, is the goal you are addressing.

If we put the Build Farm aside, which I think is the rational course at
present, then we still have to figure out how we're going to build and test
in a semi-embedded environment (contemporary ARM platforms are considered
embedded, but when you consider how powerful they actually are and what
features they offer, you could get into a whole 'nother debate about whether
they really are "embedded" or not).

So... yes, cross compilation or even just separating out the compilation
step from the runtime tests would be viable options.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org