Buildfarm build_test script on an embedded device.

Terrance Hutchinson Terrance.Hutchinson at dothill.com
Wed Oct 5 10:15:40 MDT 2011

I know I am knew to this list but I just have a question so if it's documented somewhere just point me there and I'll leave you alone.

In a typical build environment for embedded devices, most development happens on a host and cross-compiled for the target device. No one would ever dream of
Compiling on the target device. Is there a specific reason to be compiling on the target device? From what I gather it is the tests, couldn't the tests be broken out for these specific platforms?

I am just curious. I think that if it's possible, separating the test from compilation might address these compile issues. Like Michael said, a host running a cross-compiler but then have it push the finished code to the target for testing.

This is just an idea. Feel free to shoot it down :).

Thanks,
Terrance