Buildfarm build_test script on an embedded device.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 5 09:47:48 MDT 2011

Some notes, as we consider how we will move forward with Embedded Samba.

Matthieu's changes to the build_test script reduced the run time by only two
hours.  That, again, emphasizes the point that it's likely the code build
itself that is taking too long.

That said, I am, at this point, only using the build_test script to help get
a sense of the problems we face working in this environment.  I believe that
Kai is right that we need to figure out how to improve all aspects of our
performance in the embedded space--I don't want to give this up.  Andrew is
also correct that the build farm, as it is currently designed and working,
is not suited to including these kinds of devices.  I also understand that
changing the workings of the build farm to accommodate embedded platforms is
not currently a reasonable suggestion.

The solution may be to set up a separate pool of embedded devices.  I'm not
sure yet.  I still have a lot to learn about the workings of the build farm.

Kai:  What do you think about creating a separate Embedded Build Farm
      environment?  Would that be beneficial?  I will contribute at least
      the one Dockstar and possibly additional systems (I have a TI device
      available too, though I have other plans for it).

ABartlet:  Is this do-able?  What resources would be required?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org