ZFS snapshots readable over samba - Permission

Ira Cooper samba at ira.wakeful.net
Mon Oct 3 12:01:26 MDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 10:14:56AM +0200, Bodo Kaiser wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using the latest FreeBSD Release and I have a ZFS datastorage.
> >
> > Now I had the idea to share the daily snapshots via softlink over samba,
> so
> > if there is a problem with an file I easily can skip back to a snapshot
> and
> > restore this file.
> >

> > And here is the issue: The ZFS snapshot dir "/usr/home/.zfs/snapshot/" is
> > owned by root:wheel even I have access over terminal to the snaps with a
> > normal user account. I can't access over syslinks with samba or similar.
> My
> > question is now, how I solve this issue and how I make the snaps best
> > reachable for each user in there home-dir.
>
> Is this by design in ZFS ? That would seem strange, as it would prevent
> any ordinary users from getting to their snapshots.
>
> Can you point me to some documentation explaining how this is supposed
> to work ?

On NexentaCore (and I'd assume Solaris, though I do not have a box on hand
to test):

I can browse via explorer into .zfs/snapshot/snapname and it works.  We also
point a symlink at .zfs/snapshot and I can traverse that and it works also.

I can't speak to the FreeBSD implementation of this, clearly.  But it
shouldn't be a generic ZFS issue.

-Ira