Samba VFS: Is it really a Virtual File System API?

Sergio Conde sconde at dilmun.ls.fi.upm.es
Mon Oct 3 07:53:58 MDT 2011

On 30/09/11 22:01, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 09:22:05PM +0200, Sergio Conde Gómez wrote:

>>> Samba VFS can be used to create a file system out of thin air :-),
>>> not just extend an existing filesystem as all calls from the
>>> upper layer code go through it.
>>
>> Uhm... I dont see the way for returning file contents, for example,
>
> Yep - easy - just write your own implementation of pread&  read.
>
>> or things like that so I want to ask something, is there any updated
>> documentation or any example about implementing external
>> file-systems? Should I use Transparent or Opaque...
>
> To replace an underlying file system, use opaque.
>
> There aren't any updated docs I'm afraid, but if you ask
> questions here I'll try and answer.
>
> Jeremy.

I have some questions to begin with (and considering I have not started
designing my module):

Using opaque, should I make functional all the functions? Because there
are some of them that I can't implement due provider API restriction
(Such as all acl related functions, symlinks, chmod, maybe lseek. Other
problem is that open/close are nonsense because I can only read and write).
If I should implement all functions, will do the trick returning "OK it
went well" and doing nothing?

Note that previously I only worked with FUSE for things similar to this.

Thanks,
Sergio Conde.