CIFS kernel module bug

Anton Altaparmakov aia21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 14:16:33 MDT 2011

Hi,

On 1 Oct 2011, at 21:22, Jim McDonough wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> (Potential) FUD alert. ;)
>>
>> It wasn't deliberate!  It was just a guess as until recently I also though that OES just used Samba so when I two weeks ago found out that it didn't I just assumed that Novell must have written it recently and then drew the parallel to Apple and just assumed that it was an analogous case…
>
> I believe both are available on OES, samba and the CIFS server that
> has its origins in Netware.

That is correct but apparently Salford Software (who handle our Netware & OES site license here in the UK including providing support) have told the guys running the file server that the samba server on OES is not scalable, has loads of bugs, and they must stay away from it at all costs and that they would not provide any support if our filestore runs that instead of the Novell CIFSd.

You can understand why the filestore is thus running the Novell CIFSd rather than Samba…

PS. Whether this is FUD or not I cannot comment on.  I am just passing on what I was told!

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/