CIFS kernel module bug

Anton Altaparmakov aia21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 13:53:28 MDT 2011

Hi Lars,

On 1 Oct 2011, at 16:07, Lars Müller wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 09:48:12AM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
>>
>> On 1 Oct 2011, at 01:34, J.P. King wrote:
>>> Anton will be asleep, so I'll attempt to answer this one.

>>> We have been told by the people upstairs who run the server that it isn't.
>>
>> It is not Samba based.  Like Apple, Novell have written their own since Samba decided to go GPLv3…
>
> (Potential) FUD alert. ;)

It wasn't deliberate!  It was just a guess as until recently I also though that OES just used Samba so when I two weeks ago found out that it didn't I just assumed that Novell must have written it recently and then drew the parallel to Apple and just assumed that it was an analogous case…

> This Novell CIFS server existed before Novell bought SUSE.  And the
> decission to go with it instead of Samba had nothing to do with the move
> of Samba from GPL v2 to v3.

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the clarification!  From your signature I guess you would know a lot better than most.  (-:

Best regards,

	Anton

Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/