libsmbsharemodes?

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 06:33:32 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 12:06 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Under
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=vl/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/locking-idl
>
> find a patch that converts locking.tdb to IDL. The problem
> is -- this breaks libsmbsharemodes which already is quite a
> bit rotten these days (not all data fields supported, no
> cluster support etc). We could go through some hoops to
> update libsmbsharemodes to the new format, but once we start
> playing with SMB2.1 leases and support for disconnected
> clients our internal assumptions about the locking.tdb data
> model changes. The ABI we export via libsmbsharemodes will
> only move further away from what we have in locking.tdb.
>
> What shall we do about this situation?

I think it is ok to break it for a new major release (4.0 ?), but we
should either get someone to designa replacement made to survive 4.0
release development without ABI breackage or completely retire it until
someone volunteers to do that. Keeping a broken library should be
verbotten.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce