To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 28 22:41:52 MST 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 09:49 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 07:07:34AM +0100, Gémes Géza wrote:
> > >
> > As someone who followed closely this thread and being personally
> > interested in the AD part, but not only (currently running a Samba4 AD
> > test domain, will need to introduce it in production before summer). I
> > would propose an intermediate solution to the extremes presented on this
> > thread:
> > Call the Samba 4.0 release Samba-AD (the idea behind the name belongs to
> > Sernet people), and continue to release Samba3 as Samba-FS. This way
> > people would have a suggestion where those are going to be deployable.
> > Of course I DON'T propose the end of the integration efforts. But if the
> > plan is to do a release in the near future that seems a good (certainly
> > not perfect) compromise. Having a Samba release with ability to act as
> > an AD DC is becoming more and more important to many people who have to
> > upgrade their network infrastructure.
>
> Interestingly enough this is *exactly* what Steve Danneman of Isilon
> proposed a few years ago at SambaXP :-). I do think it would solve
> the branding problem, but it requires a commitment from all the
> Team to do this - I think that's what we're working on right now.

Jeremy and Gémes,

I wish to wholeheartedly agree with this proposal.  My first priority is
to get Samba's first AD server into the hands of our users.  I am not
concerned about what we call it, just as long as it is clear to our
users that it is stable and supported by the Samba Team.

I therefore would like to propose a pre1 of this Samba 4.0 AD be
released from master in 2 weeks time.  I do not propose to branch at
this point, but given our good experience so far, to use a revived
wintest and the continuous integration of autobuild as our quality
assurance.