What is Franky exactly?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 28 14:16:04 MST 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 16:31 -0500, simo wrote:

> > Much the same argument is true of the LSA serice daemon. We have years
> > of experience running the LSA module inside bin/samba for an AD DC. As
> > far as I know, you have not attempted to test the LSA service code you
> > are proposing when Samba is an AD DC. It certainly has not been tested
> > by any of our users.
>
> Exactly and that's because *nobody* has proposed running the smbd's LSA
> daemon in the AD-DC scenario. The idea is to proxy all connections to
> the bin/samba LSA daemon for AD-DC services. It's the Franky approach.
>
> I wonder if you ever bothered to understand how the Franky architecture
> was supposed to work, your comments here seem to indicate you didn't, a
> pity.

Simo,

I did not read Andreas' comments to have the same meaning as Tridge did,
but I have the additional background of your personal assurance that you
are not trying to build an AD clone with FreeIPA or Samba3's lsad.

Part of the confusion here comes from that the wiki page about Franky.
The only public reference for what Franky is (wrongly, as far as I can
tell) suggests exactly what Tridge was worried about:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Franky#The_Plumbing_Design.2C_revised

(from the wiki page)
> The Plumbing Design, revised
> During another Göttingen meeting another idea was born: pdb_ads.
>
> In the last 12 months, in particular Günther Deschner has done a
> tremendous amount of work in the Samba 3 RPC server area, making it
> likely that the RPC services in Samba 3 are sufficient to provide
> enough infrastructure to provide AD-like services to Windows clients.
> The things that Samba 3 does not have and probably will not have for
> the foreseeable future are LDAP and Kerberos services.
>
> The missing piece to provide interoperability between Samba 3 and
> Samba 4's LDAP/Kerberos services is a way to access the AD-style LDAP
> database Samba 4 provides from Samba 3. The new pdb_ads module uses
> the existing passdb infrastructure in Samba 3 to do exactly that.

Perhaps someone involved in the Franky proposal could clarify that page
with the current integration status and current proposals?

Alternately, if we wish to move on from that name (and remove that
page), I'm happy to write up a new page with my thoughts and proposals,
built on the technology we have so far and what we demonstrate in
plugin_s4_dc.