To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Fri Nov 25 11:34:39 MST 2011

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 07:07:34AM +0100, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> As someone who followed closely this thread and being personally
>> interested in the AD part, but not only (currently running a Samba4 AD
>> test domain, will need to introduce it in production before summer). I
>> would propose an intermediate solution to the extremes presented on this
>> thread:
>> Call the Samba 4.0 release Samba-AD (the idea behind the name belongs to
>> Sernet people), and continue to release Samba3 as Samba-FS. This way
>> people would have a suggestion where those are going to be deployable.
>> Of course I DON'T propose the end of the integration efforts. But if the
>> plan is to do a release in the near future that seems a good (certainly
>> not perfect) compromise. Having a Samba release with ability to act as
>> an AD DC is becoming more and more important to many people who have to
>> upgrade their network infrastructure.
> Interestingly enough this is *exactly* what Steve Danneman of Isilon
> proposed a few years ago at SambaXP :-). I do think it would solve
> the branding problem, but it requires a commitment from all the
> Team to do this - I think that's what we're working on right now.
>
> Normally we'd do this on the Team internal alias, but to be honest
> I think this is a much better discussion done openly with really
> good input from users and other developers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy.
In the name of users/occasional developers thank you for listening to
what we might say about this release plan.
I didn't want to misappropriate Steve Danemans idea, it just seemed an
obvious compromise, which could be beneficial for the project.
Of course I don't think it should last more than maximum 1-2 years.
Support-wise it shouldn't be much more burden than it is currently,
people already ask lots of Samba4 questions (besides the Samba3 ones) on
the samba mailing list. At least those questions which start as what
version to use, is it stable enough etc. would have an official (release
number based) answer.

Cheers,

Geza