To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Nov 24 02:12:32 MST 2011

On Wednesday 23 November 2011 18:24:17 Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 05:47:47PM -0500, simo wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 08:44 +1100, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> > > we have a way of doing this, see the s3fs-wip branch in the either
> > > mine
> > > or andrews git repos. That integrates the s3 file server into samba,
> > > while still leaving smbd to run separately if the user prefers that.
> >
> > We seem to have a lot of experiments, but no official solution, nor
> > anything that is going to be easy to set up out of the box.
>
> There is also Volker's "franky" solution that was demonstated
> some time ago that keeps the smbd server as a separate process
> running in parallel with the samba AD-DC process.
>
> Whilst that hasn't gotten much love recently, from an architectural
> standpoint that is still the solution I would prefer. Hopefully
> other Team members (SerNet folks, I'm looking over there :-) will
> chime in on this ?

Hey Jeremy,

this stuff got a lot of love recently. With the endpoint mapper deamon and the
LSA service daemon we improved the named pipe proxy handling and fixed
remaining bugs. We also test this stuff in autobuild. spoolssd and lsasd are
enabled in 'make test' to make sure we don't break anything here.

We still think this is best approch to get smbd as fileserver in S4.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org