To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu Nov 24 02:07:22 MST 2011

On Thursday 24 November 2011 08:44:39 Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

Hi Andrew,

> > * waf needs to support all configure checks which the Samba3 autoconf
> >
> >   provides. There are still options and defines missing.
>
> could you provide a list and say why they are needed?

Build Samba 4 with waf and Samba 3 with autoconf. Then diff the config.h
files.

> > * Linking of shared libraries in Samba4 needs to be fixed. For example
> > take a>
> >   look at libpdb: 'ldd bin/default/source3/libpdb.so' why is it linked
> >   to all heimdal libraries? http://pastebin.com/8aM8tx8q
>
> it probably doesn't need to link to them, although I think it's rather
> strange to have this in a list of things blocking a release, as it is
> cosmetic. All of the Samba 3.x releases have been broken in much worse
> ways with regard to shared libraries (for example, lack of symbol
> versions in public libraries).

I know that S3 is really broken here, but it doesn't mean that such things
have to be broken with the waf build too. The cleaner the buildsystem the
better the packaging can be done.

The cleaner the packaging can be done, the better. Currently we have to many
workarounds and problems while packaging Samba4.

Cheers,

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org