To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 05:58:05 MST 2011

On 2011-11-23 04:32, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
>> -1. We can't do this. It isn't an integrated product yet, it's
>> just a grab bag of non-integrated features.
>
> I don't get this. The same binaries with the same behaviour as we
> have now will be part of this release. We will also have a major
> new feature, being an AD DC, and if you setup a DC then you get
> different file serving capabilities.

I'm not sure that is the case. We do build all that stuff with waf now,
not with autobuild, and I'm not sure we're at a point where the builds
_are_ identical in behavior. There's still this weird pkg-config issue
with installed system libraries in the wrong version still ending up
being used, I wonder what other beasts are hiding in the shadows.

> The same thing happened when we added support for clustering. If
> you didn't use clustering then you got the existing features. If
> you did use clustering then some existing features (eg. printing)
> did not work correctly.

The only way we can reliably do this at the current point seems to be to
tell people to decide at build time, and keep using the autoconf build
for the file server build for now, at least if our goal is to get 4.0
out of the door as quickly as possible. Otherwise we're looking at a
massive QA effort here, one that I'd hate to force on those users that
just want to keep running a file server.

>> Without proper design and code to implement the source3
>> fileserver, winbind and nmbd integration we simply don't have a
>> finished product. The integrated fileserver is a MUST HAVE for a
>> 4.0 release.
>
> Integrating the file server portion when you are an AD DC isn't
> the biggest task in this list. We have had demonstrations of that
> for a while, although the methods Andrew and I chose to use to
> implement it weren't liked by some people so they never made it
> into master.

We do keep avoiding to talk about the different solutions proposed.
Maybe it's time to stop doing that.

> The biggest and hardest task is winbind, and the basic problem is
> that the s3 winbind is just not well suited for a AD DC, especially
> in a multi-domain forest.

As Volker already said, could you be more specific on that one? It's
kind of hard to fix if we don't know what's not working.

> no, their existing setups just keep working. It is only if they
> decide to setup an AD DC that things change.

Which currently might not be true, because the build systems differ.
I'm pretty convinced that on a box like sn-devel the differences are
negligible, but on a box not set up for samba development, the
situation might differ.

Having said that, I think that's a great point to start rolling out a
couple of smbd file servers from the top level build for testinng. :)

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin