To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue Nov 22 20:32:57 MST 2011

Hi Jeremy,

> -1. We can't do this. It isn't an integrated product yet,
> it's just a grab bag of non-integrated features.

I don't get this. The same binaries with the same behaviour as we have
now will be part of this release. We will also have a major new feature,
being an AD DC, and if you setup a DC then you get different file
serving capabilities.

The same thing happened when we added support for clustering. If you
didn't use clustering then you got the existing features. If you did use
clustering then some existing features (eg. printing) did not work
correctly.

> Without proper design and code to implement the source3 fileserver,
> winbind and nmbd integration we simply don't have a finished
> product. The integrated fileserver is a MUST HAVE for a 4.0 release.

Integrating the file server portion when you are an AD DC isn't the
biggest task in this list. We have had demonstrations of that for a
while, although the methods Andrew and I chose to use to implement it
weren't liked by some people so they never made it into master.

The biggest and hardest task is winbind, and the basic problem is that
the s3 winbind is just not well suited for a AD DC, especially in a
multi-domain forest.

> Rightly or wrongly Samba4 is seen as the replacement
> for Samba3. If you ship what you have now you put the
> Team members who support OEM fileservers in an incredibly
> difficult position w.r.t. marketing and communications
> with our customers, not to mention the Linux distros.

no, their existing setups just keep working. It is only if they decide
to setup an AD DC that things change.

Cheers, Tridge