To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 22 06:05:08 MST 2011

On 11/22/2011 12:13 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I would like to propose that we proceed to making a pre-release of Samba
> 4.0 in the next month (ie, before Christmas), and that we propose to
> release Samba 4.0 'as is' regarding major features.

Agreed.

> To be clear, I propose that the DNS server work continue, and we seek a
> resolution of the best approach here over the time between now and a
> release, but we do not block a release on this point.  (I am confident
> however that those involved will have a good solution, and even the
> current flat file is clearly good enough for our many users).

Agreed.

> I also propose that we do not make the major architectural changes
> between now and the release to change file server or winbind
> implementations for the AD DC.  Instead, we continue to build on the
> massive efforts already made here over the next few months, but we will
> not change the default behaviour for a 4.0 release.

Agreed.

> What do others think?

It is time to release Samba 4. At the same time there should be some
form of statement or plan that clarifies how current development work
may impact changes that could affect vendors who integrate Samba into
their products.  I refer specifically to how 4.1 or 4.2 might differ
from 4.0 so that vendors can plan ahead.

- John T.