mangle a character or forbid/prohibit it's use when creating files/folders

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 13:39:29 MST 2011

I've seen somewhere there used to be 'mangle map' or
something alike,
in my case it's all about whitespaces that users stubbornly
use not responding to our pleads,
it enforces an extra effort on related bash scripting side,
scripts that traverse filesystem content for different reasons
best way would be to verbosely forbid a character usage at
creation time or silently mangle it, ie. whitespace ->
underscore