samba3upgrade and the DNS account

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Nov 11 08:56:19 MST 2011

Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>:
> Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
>>> On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 10:26 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Finally, a known issue with upgrades from Samba3 and imports from
>> windows via 'net domain join' is that the dns-machine account is not
>> created.
> Ok, but oddly, it has provisioned this before.  If I revert to a
> previous snapshot my DNS keytab looks like -
> barbel:/opt/s4/private # klist  -k dns.keytab -e
>    1 DNS/micore.us at MICORE.US (DES cbc mode with RSA-MD5)

I don't know how it is possible - but it seems like the existence of a
second interface [IP address] on the host at least contributes to this
problem.  I added a second NIC to my testing VM so that I could reach
both the live DC and my testing subnet, and provisioning then leaves
me without a "DNS/micore.us at MICORE.US" entry.

Still having an issue where Kerberos isn't working ["Preauthentication
failed while getting initial credentials" / "Failed to decrypt
PA-DATA"] but without the second NIC I am reliably getting the
DNS/{domain} entry in the keytab file.