Confused [Was: Upgrade from S3 to a Samba4 DC [with LDAPSAM]]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 8 02:47:56 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 11:57 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
> > It should not be a hard job - systems without a 'server role' set with
> > simply use 'auto' which will work it out using the existing samba3
> > 'domain logons/domain master' combinations.  Amitay or I will try to get
> > to it soon.
>
> Argh.  And I suppose there is no way to promote the Samba instance; or
> some way to force the samba upgrade script to create a DC?
>
> My imported smb.conf had -
>    domain master = yes
>    domain logons = yes
>
> I suppose this is revealed in that testparm  says "Server role:
> ROLE_STANDALONE"

It *is* a DC, if 'server role = domain controller' is in the smb.conf.

However, some parts of Samba3, which are not used in Samba4 AD operation
(eg net, testparm) do not understand that parameter.  We are working on
fixing that, so that even more parts of the Samba suite understand about
operation in AD DC mode.  Patches for a partial fix have already been
prepared, but I'm still finishing details with Amitay for a proper fix
across the full codebase.