"Windows is unable to calculate effective permissions for blah" against a standalone Samba server

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:52:54 MDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> On 03/11/2011 15:51, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Has anyone seen this? Standalone Samba 3.5.6 with the tdb backend being
>> tdbsam.
>
> Yes, and also with samba4 as a DC.

OK, thanks for confirming that it is more widespread than my single example.

>> On Win2K03 (at least) right click on a file, select permissions, click
>> advanced and select effective permissions.
>>
>> No matter what user is entered, Windows complains that it is unable to
>> calculate the effective permissions for that user.
>>
>> I have looked at a capture of the traffic and there are seemingly no
>> errors (werror == SUCCESS all the time) so maybe some group
>> memberships are empty or something.
>>
>> I guess my next step would be to snoop the traffic between two Windows
>> servers.
>
> Could be interesting to get an information from Microsoft.

Hmmm, since I will have access to MSDN soon, it seems, I can run up a
couple of VMs, although if someone else has the VMs and the time on
their hands, they might do it sooner.

I guess I could trawl through the existing MS protocols documents to
see if any of them mention the protocols involved in calculating
effective permissions.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe