CIFS: Rename bug on servers not supporting inode numbers

Anton Altaparmakov aia21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 09:42:13 MDT 2011

Hi,

I should add that we are using iocharset=utf8 mount option which means that the dcache hash/compare functions done in the cifs module do not work because it uses nls_tolower() and nls_strnicmp() both of which for utf8 NLS in the kernel do not do anything at all and effectively behave case sensitively!

Thus this bug/problem in all likelyhood only affects utf8 iocharset users on a case-insensitive but case-preserving CIFS server that does not support server inode numbers.

That probably explains why it has not been noticed before!

We need utf8 thus we still need to fix this issue.

Best regards,

	Anton

Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/