DNS update from s3 to s4, working with nsupdate, fails with net ads dns register

Michael Croes mycroes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:30:38 MDT 2011

Dear list,

I hate to respond to myself again, but I think I might've found (part
of) the reason for the failing DNS updates. It seems that the DLZ
module doesn't respond to SOA requests. I've verified (using
ldbsearch) that the SOA record is actually there, however a DNS
request for the SOA record just results in a SERVFAIL, with no errors
logged (neither bind nor samba). It seems that at least
samba_dnsupdate needs this SOA record, this doesn't change anything
about 'net ads dns register' failing when I use the provision
generated named.conf though.

Could anyone using the DLZ module verify existence of the SOA record
(dig @dc.sam.dom SOA sam.dom)? I'm using the Samba alpha 17 shipped
with Ubuntu Oneiric, so I can imagine different behaviour in a newer
release.
Regards,

Michael