removal of dc

Michael Croes mycroes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:25:45 MDT 2011

Hi Andris,

> I have currently a two samba4 dc setup replicating each other. I managed to break one of them and would like to remove all records associated with it from the domain/DNS. How does one go about doing this? samba-tool only has join option but did not notice any leave option. Google search does not reveal much on this topic either.
What I did to upgrade Samba 4 (which only works with a single DC) was
to use Active Directory Users and Computers on Windows XP to remove
the second domain controller from the domain, after stopping samba on
the second DC. I believe this did leave one ldap entry behind that
should've been deleted, but I manually deleted it afterwards.

Apparently this worked just fine, because after performing the upgrade
I could re-add the second DC (after deleting it's local samba database
files, etc.) to the domain without any further issues.
Regards,

Michael