Confused [Was: Upgrade from S3 to a Samba4 DC [with LDAPSAM]]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Nov 2 09:57:58 MDT 2011

Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
> It should not be a hard job - systems without a 'server role' set with
> simply use 'auto' which will work it out using the existing samba3
> 'domain logons/domain master' combinations.  Amitay or I will try to get
> to it soon.

Argh.  And I suppose there is no way to promote the Samba instance; or
some way to force the samba upgrade script to create a DC?

My imported smb.conf had -
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes

I suppose this is revealed in that testparm  says "Server role:
ROLE_STANDALONE"

barbel:~ # testparm
Load smb config files from /opt/s4/etc/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Unknown parameter encountered: "server role"
Ignoring unknown parameter "server role"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[sysvol]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.