Duplicate symbols in smbd from top level build

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 31 00:16:49 MDT 2011

One of the biggest issues blocking the top level build has been the
thorny issue of duplicate symbols in binaries.

However, the issue is more than just symbols between 'samba3' and
'samba4', but also symbol conflicts within the code under source3,
particularly the dummysmbd.c and dummyroot.c files.

I've put in patches to deal with some of this, but much more work needs
to be done.  Attached is my current (failing) attempt to fix the
functions from those files.

The issues arose when libsmbconf was added into the waf build, because
it added LIB_NONSMBD into the dependency chain of smbd (previously there
were no libraries at this level, and each end binary had to link to the
smbd library or LIB_NONSMBD.

To see the duplicate symbol lists, run

make SYMBOLCHECK=1 2>&1 | grep " Symbol "

Once we resolve all these, I hope to put a restriction in autobuild to
prevent us getting duplicate symbols again.