Hi - Dhananjay Sathe GSoC Update Samba-Gtk

Dhananjay Sathe dhananjaysathe at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:47:35 MDT 2011

Hi all,

      Hello to you all once again.As i have mentioned before I am Dhananjay
Sathe and i will be working on the Samba-Gtk under Jelmer Vernooij as a part
of my GSoC project titled Samba Control Center

     One of the prerequisites for the implementation of my projects happens
to be the ability to add local and remote shares (folders/printers etc).This
functionality is currently not present in Samba-Gtk. Thus my initial primary
focus shall be to add this feature functionality to the present tool
set.This involves creating the required back-end and the Gtk+ interface akin
to the present tools present in Samba-Gtk.
         Unlike currently available GUI tools that entail the direct
manipulation of the smb.conf file to configure samba and also in step with
the rest of the Samba-Gtk tools this will be done using the samba-python
bindings via the dcerpc bindings (in this case specifically the srvsvc
methods), thus eliminating a range of complications and also keeping it in
step with the Samba-4 recommendations.Additionally this approach allows for
configuration of samba3 based hosts and even Windows hosts.

After going through the documentation and code and discussing the issue with
my mentor, I have decided that I will be working on this for now.

Feel free to contact me with any comments,suggestions and queries at
dhananjaysathe at gmail.com (also gtalk).
My IRC nick is "dsathe". I will be found often on #samba and
#samba-technical on freenode.

Thank you all for your support.

Cheers !!!

Dhananjay Deepak Sathe | +919764871950
dhananjaysathe at gmail.com,f2009260 at bits-goa.ac.in
2nd Year Undergraduate,
BE(Hons) Electronics and Instrumentation,
BITS Pilani Goa Campus.