Pseudobacklinks in samba4

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon May 23 01:56:56 MDT 2011

On 23/05/2011 09:13, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 00:05 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just pushed in my repo at
>> http://git.samba.org/?p=mat/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pseudobacklinks.
>>
>> Pseudo backlinks are a way to do fake linked attributes on attribute
>> with a DN like syntax but that are not linked attribute.
>>
>> The main interest of this is that if the DN pointed by this attribute
>> change then thanks to the pseudobacklink we will be able to change the
>> value in the attribute as well.
>>
>> This can be very useful when removing a DC or when changing the site of
>> a DC and surely in other case that we don't envision yet.
>>
>> I tried to be very cautious on this patches (as usual) but a small
>> review wouldn't hurt I think !
> s4-dsdb: do not allow search on @ attributes and don't return them
> http://git.samba.org/?p=mat/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=23bf142dfde77429180f6cbd193b6faa2cbb05ec
>
> This is O(n^3) and not safe, as far as I can see it.
As far as I can understand ldb_attr_list_copy is O(n) as we are
potentially calling it n times it should be O(n^2) no ?

> If you used ldb_msg_remove_element() you could make it only O(n^2) and
> potentially safe (knowing to repeat the index each time you remove it,
> due to the internal memmove()).
It seems to me that ldb_msg_remove_element is O(n^2) and as it could be
called n times it should be O(n^3) right ?

Of course this penalties will happen only if you try to search on
pseudobacklink which is not a use case at all.

Then can you point what you think is not safe ?

> We do need to move to a 'mark as deleted' scheme here, as this is one of
> our nastiest little traps in the ldb API, but for now you have to work
> around it.
Right as I'm pretty sure we iterate more than once on attributes to
remove or add some, we should also move away from doing string
comparisons as it's very costly.
> s4-dsdb: Add a warning about dsdb_module_rename that locks if olddn ==
> newdn
> http://git.samba.org/?p=mat/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=933d74e64e9836e8597bcfa531d5347bec726182
>
> Is this bug new, or exposed by your tests, or?  We should not use FIXME
> as a bug tracking system, but actually fix the code if at all possible,
> otherwise error out early.
We hit this metze, while working on the rootdse, we managed to avoid it,
but we agreed that we should mark it as, fix needed.

> s4-dsdb: In rootdse module, catch rename on any DN that has an impact on
> our NTDS Setting dn
> http://git.samba.org/?p=mat/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=e78335ce0184b5fdd6f313a6b95b00f242fab83f
>
> We should more dynamically determine this, I think, perhaps based on a
> stored GUID (which should not change).  We have gradually moved from
> having static strings in @ROOTDSE to dynamic lookup, and this is just
> another step in that direction.
So at first here I was keen on making it dynamic, but it didn't work, an
early search like '(guid=<myguid>)' didn't work. I show this to metze
and it turns out that it's because at the early moment the indexing
system is not the same as "as usual". So basically doing a search with a
guid at the very beginning don't work.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org