samba4 / samba-tool patches, patch 0000 of 0002

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 18 21:51:23 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 12:54 -0400, Theresa Halloran wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'll be posting two patches for review, following this note.
>
> I've been working on cleaning up samba-tool for samba4.  see the
> following wiki page for more details on this project:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba-tool-external
>
> I'm starting this work on the samba-tool user command as outlined in the
> wiki.
>
> These two patches include the following:
>
> 1 of 2: 0001-samba-tool.patch takes the samba-tool enableaccount command
> and moves it to samba-tool user enableaccount.  I left the
> enableaccount.py part in place with a message stating the syntax has
> changed as an fyi.  eventually, I will remove the part.  I also updated
> the test cases I found that issue the command to use the new syntax, and
> those parts are included in this patch.
>
> 2 of 2: 0002-samba-tool.patch takes the samba-tool setexpiry command and
> moves it to samba-tool user setexpiry.  I left the setexpiry.py part in
> place with a message stating the syntax has changed as an fyi.
> eventually, I will remove the part.  I also updated the test cases I
> found that issue the command to use the new syntax and those parts are
> included in this patch.
>
> (Yay, my first samba contribution!)
>
> Thanks,
> Theresa

Thanks for that.

A few points:

Firstly, I'm sorry, but this will be a bit of a difficult process while
you get used to how we prefer patches, and as we sort out the details.

On the patches, please don't leave in the old code commented out - GIT
keeps a history, so we don't need a history left in the code.  I also
disagree with leaving in a 'redirection' in the old command, we are
still in alpha releases and I fear we will never get rid of the old
names otherwise.

I also don't think it should be 'enableaccount', but just 'samba tool
user enable'.

Also, in your GIT configuration you should put your full name, as that
will be the permanent 'Author' marker for the code.

(I also think the bike-shed should be blue ;-)

Thanks,